Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props

From: James
Subject: Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:46:28 +0000

Hello,

On 02/11/2010 23:20, Trevor Daniels wrote:
I wonder if affinity/nonaffinity are optimal.
Are they better than relatedstaff/unrelatedstaff?

To who? programmers or most other people who use LilyPond in general (i.e. me?).

So here I am, just done my first 'mary had a little lamb' score (with Dynamics and chords and EVERYTHING!), dead chuffer with myself but I can see that the lines need some adjustment nothing in the Learning Manual, because it's a bit more advanced so I go to the Notation Reference on how to do that and I see this (and staff-staff or staffgroup-staff). You might as well call them 'bingy-bongy-boo' for the meaning that nonaffinity has.

?

Unless we really explain this properly in the docs what this term actually means, it really does put a lot of people off (i.e. me).

I seem to recall that Valentin was struggling to get people to use 'include \italian.ly' (or whatever it was), this is not going to do us any favours.

I'd like to propose some of my own terms (so as to not be seen to be *just* complaining) but I still don't really understand what the constraints are here and why it matters if we use noun-adjective-noun or noun-noun-verb or whatever we are trying to do here.

Yours (a regular non-developy person trying to be constructive)

James