Re: multiple issues with building docs (patch included)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: multiple issues with building docs (patch included)
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:13:02 +0100

> At this very moment,
> - we cannot build releases

Well, they _are_ development releases anyway.  While my computing
facilities are quite limited (single Pentium M of moderate speed), and
my testing probably not up to scratch, I'd be willing to churn out
minimal release material and test and commit staging to master
occasionally if things are doomed to a stillstand otherwise.  I just
can't provide that as a permanent service since it does not make sense
given my resources.

> - we are not merging dev/staging with master
> - we are not testing new patches for review

I had been wondering about the lack of resonance to my latest patches
since they were partly created because people asked for them but not
following up (sort of amusing that Graham in total failure mode still
provides the timeliest and most encouraging responses), partly great
tidings.

> - I am too sick to be civil until mid-Dec:

Consider yourself lucky.  _You_ have a dedicated point of time after
which you have reasonable expectations to be able to return to socially
acceptable behavior.  6 weeks?  People will forget faster than your
conscience.  And honestly, there is not much to forget anyway.

>> Hah :-) As with your other mails, I really appreciate your honesty.
>> It would be far more disheartening to feel I was being tricked into
>> spending unexpected amounts of time on climbing a steep learning
>> curve without adequate support.
>
> ok, that's a relief.  My biggest concern is people doing a lot of
> work, expecting to have a certain amount of gratitude and support, and
> then getting disappointed a few weeks later when they don't get the
> help they think they deserve.  I'd rather drive away half our
> potential volunteers instead of seeing yet more people getting stuck
> and bailing with bad feelings.  Since you clearly know what you're
> getting into: welcome.

There are worse projects than Lilypond.