Re: Texinfo help, please

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Texinfo help, please
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 00:40:29 +0100

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:45:24PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hmm.  So there's absolutely no way to get
> >
> > ----------- linewidth ------
> > from some kind of
> > emergency-stretch-tweak
> > ----------- linewidth ------
> >
> > ?  that's a shame.
>
> If you want a non-stretching break-opportunity before some construct,

Sorry, I should have specified "absolutely no way to get ---
without any mixing of content and layout commands".  I think we
should minimize any layout-specific commands in our docs.

I've spent a few minutes here and there looking at
tex.stackexchange.com and doing google searches, and I feel a bit
let down.  The answers are consistently "you can manually add a
line-break, you can change the hyphenation with \sloppy, or you
can reword your sentences".  It's the last that really bugs me.
:(

Anyway, my current understanding is that there are three realistic

1)
----------- linewidth ------
from    some     kind     of
emergency-stretch-tweak
----------- linewidth ------

2)
manually insert a @* before every @file{} in the docs which would
produce an overfull hbox, to force a linebreak.
(I reject the option of breaking within a filename)

3)
manually reword any sentence including a @file{} which would
produce an overfull hbox.

Phil's patch currently does #2 and #3.  I am not fond of those
options, since it means that we need to take extra care when
writing or editing docs.  I would rather see #1.

Thoughts, objections?