Re: Texinfo help, please

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Texinfo help, please
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 07:51:51 +0100

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:01:52AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Sorry, I should have specified "absolutely no way to get ---
> > without any mixing of content and layout commands".  I think we
> > should minimize any layout-specific commands in our docs.
>
> It's not like you could not put this into the @file macro.  It would
> just mean that if TeX breaks before the file, the line above will be
> short.  Which is what you stated you wanted.

Huh, for some reason that completely slipped my mind.  Yes, that
sounds ideal!
(at least as far as my desires for the docs go, but others may
prefer the docs to look another way.  Anybody object?)

I also hadn't realized that we could redefine @file.  Or are you
talking about changing the definition of @file->TeX in our
texinfo.tex?  anyway, this sounds very promising!

> > I've spent a few minutes here and there looking at
> > tex.stackexchange.com and doing google searches, and I feel a bit
> > let down.
>
> What I am getting at is that the likelihood that Google searches for
> random information somebody uttered at some time anywhere will turn up
> better information about what or what may not be possible using TeX than
> you are able to get from me is not all that high.

Acknowledged.  I meant no insult by searching around on my own;
it's just that "consider rewriting the sentence" seemed like such
a sub-optimal answer that I wanted to check other sources.  Also,
it was something to do while drinking tea and eating cookies.  For
some reason I've never gotten the hang of doing important work
while eating.

> > Anyway, my current understanding is that there are three realistic
> >
> > 1)
> > from    some     kind     of
> > emergency-stretch-tweak
>
> With the stretch consolidated over several lines usually.

ah, I hadn't realized that.