Re: Cyrillic texinfo support

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Cyrillic texinfo support
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:43:49 +0100

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 08:16:48PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
> > Hmm, `wild changes' is a mild exaggeration, isn't it?  It makes
> > 50 Cyrillic characters appear in the PDFs which were simply missing
> > previously.  It's a one-line change in `macros.itexi'
> > and a new file.  And of course I've run `make doc' on a freshly cloned
> > git repository and checked the output whether everything is fine.
> And even when the wild code bonanza has started, we will have review
> processes, and I, like every other developer, have the right to mention
> my concerns in reviews when changes with large impact are made.

Yes.  Pushing directly to staging is basically a gamble:
IF YOU WIN: you avoid the delay and hassle of git-cl, reviews, a
patch countdown, etc.
IF YOU LOSE: somebody doesn't like something in your patch and is
annoyed that they didn't have a chance to comment.

Honestly, if I were in Werner's position, I probably would have
done the same -- I would have taken the risk that everybody was ok
with the change, and pushed it directly to staging.  But as soon
as somebody complained (regardless of who it was, regardless of
the reason), I would revert the commit, and send the patch for
review+countdown.

*shrug*
it's a gamble, and it didn't pay off in this case.  In the future,
we'll all remember that changes to texinfo.tex can be problematic,
so we'll be slightly less likely to take the gamble with that
file.

I think that's all that needs to be said.