Re: Cyrillic texinfo support

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Cyrillic texinfo support
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:41:30 +0100

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 09:16:24PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Yes.  Pushing directly to staging is basically a gamble:
> > IF YOU WIN: you avoid the delay and hassle of git-cl, reviews, a
> > patch countdown, etc.
> > IF YOU LOSE: somebody doesn't like something in your patch and is
> > annoyed that they didn't have a chance to comment.
>
> I don't see it as a gamble.  Pushing to staging means "I consider this
> change to be safe and can't imagine anybody suggesting anything to
> change".  Not "I hope nobody will notice", but "I don't expect anybody
> to be concerned".

In my mind, saying "I don't expect anybody to concerned" is
implicitly a gamble.  I mean, I can _always_ imagine somebody
suggesting a change to any patch.  I agree that nobody should push
to staging with the mind-set of "I hope nobody will notice".

> Pushing to staging is where you are
> _certain_ that no review is called for, needed and wanted.  Typo fixes
> where you are reasonably sure of your grammar.

I see a difference between "_certain_" and "reasonably sure".  My
preference is to view direct-staging as a "reasonably sure"
option.

> > it's a gamble, and it didn't pay off in this case.
>
> I would prefer it if people don't gamble the development processes.  It
> is disrespectful to other developers to consider them irrelevant.  So I
> would very much like to see "push to staging" restricted to those cases
> where there is a reasonable expectation that everybody would fully agree
> with form, content, and intent of a change.

I think we're using the word "gamble" in different senses.  Let's
put it this way: in a week and a half, I will be gambling that
there will not be a fatal train collision between Dusseldorf
airport and Dortmund Hbf.  I have a "reasonable expectation" that
there will be no accident (otherwise I'd look for alternate
transportation).  But it's still a gamble.

But this has now degraded into a debate about technicalities.  I
doubt that we can find a perfect English phrase to describe how
staging should be considered, and even if we could, that perfect
English phrase would be subject to misunderstandings from
contributors with less-than-perfect English.  (notably people from
America :P)

Let's just continue "self-policing" as before: if there's a
questionable commit in staging without a countdown, we'll complain
and revert it, and people will generally reach a consensus on
what's appropriate.