Re: 3.0?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: 3.0?
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:07:07 +0100

Am 09.01.2014 12:03, schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
Urs Liska writes:

Is there _any_ notion what a LilyPond 3.0 may be?

I could imagine that if LilyPond were made into an engraving library,
and/or heavy rewiring to make it deeply integrated with a gui,

Hm, this is something I was also thinking about: Of course LilyPond itself will never get graphical editing but remains a dedicated engraving tool. But it would probably make it more attractive for the consumer market if it had a nice default GUI. I personally would be pleased to see Frescobaldi become such a default GUI (of course not cutting out other options). Particularly given the prospect of Frescobaldi providing graphical editing capabilities soon (and provided we'll get the Mac OSX installation sorted out).

Would such a step be _conceptually_ acceptable or should LilyPond remain "GUI-agnostic"?

or accept
another native input language like the lilypond-driven fixed fresh
release of MusicXML 4.0; something like that would warrant 3.0.

In that context: Does anybody have experience/knowledge/contact with MEI (www.music-encoding.org)?

I mean 2.0 followed on 1.8, and now we're already towards .20

We had major language changes and a deep incorporation of Guile, those
made good excuses to move away from the 1.0 series.

Ah, OK:

Urs

Jan

--