Re: 3.0?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: 3.0?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:25:08 +0100

Am 10.01.2014 22:23, schrieb address@hidden:
Carl Peterson:
I know someone suggested just turning off the PDF conversion to speed
things up, but it's not just a matter of instantaneous aural feedback.

Ok.

There's a visual component and a matter of input error reduction, because I
have been known to enter incorrect octaves or durations and not realize it
until I've finished typing and have compiled the entire score.

A quick-n-dirty test mode would probably solve your need, just to
check for typing errors and such (as you write above).

What should such a mode need/disregard, what speedups are possible for
such a test mode ?

Well,
compiling a few measures of a single staff feels nearly instantaneous, and when you're editing an orchestral score this makes a huge difference.

Generally I'd think it would be a good idea to have such an interface in Frescobaldi. UI-wise it wouldn't be too hard to add that. However, there is one thing I've thought about several times and that doesn't make the issue so easy: If you have a short segment of a score, say in a variable, how can you guarantee that LilyPond has the right context for that (I'm not talking of \context, but of things like key, time signature, transposition etc.)?

Urs

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data