Re: 3.0?

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: 3.0?
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 13:25:53 +0200

On Jan 9, 2014, at 1:07 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 09.01.2014 12:03, schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
>> Urs Liska writes:
>>
>>> Is there _any_ notion what a LilyPond 3.0 may be?
>>
>> I could imagine that if LilyPond were made into an engraving library,
>> and/or heavy rewiring to make it deeply integrated with a gui,
>
> Hm, this is something I was also thinking about: Of course LilyPond itself
> will never get graphical editing but remains a dedicated engraving tool.
> But it would probably make it more attractive for the consumer market if it
> had a nice default GUI. I personally would be pleased to see Frescobaldi
> become such a default GUI (of course not cutting out other options).
> Particularly given the prospect of Frescobaldi providing graphical editing
> capabilities soon (and provided we'll get the Mac OSX installation sorted
> out).
>
> Would such a step be _conceptually_ acceptable or should LilyPond remain
> "GUI-agnostic”?

GUI agnostic - there should be a clear separation between front end and
backend.  LilyPond is technically already GUI agnostic, as joe and vim (my two
favorite GUIs) both act commendably as front ends to my LilyPond code.

The best thing, by far, would to make LilyPond a modular engraving library with
public APIs for each module.  This way, building a GUI just means mapping
visual symbols to API calls and displaying the result.

GUIDO (for which I’m a developer) already works like this and has been embedded
in several commercial and open-source apps.

Cheers,
MS