Re: 3.0?

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: 3.0?
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 10:13:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 6:20 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Another problem is that LilyPond has a usage philosophy and workflow
> that strongly penalizes manual tweaks.  Graphically/manually oriented
> workflows detract from the importance of getting good default
> typesetting.

I don't know that I agree with this, entirely. I use MuseScore,
Scorio, and Finale Notepad (depending on where I am and how I feel)
for compositional work because they provide ease of note entry in the
composing process and the ability to have instant aural feedback on
what I've written (particularly if I'm not at my keyboard to play what
I've written). Once I have the draft of the music written, I will
manually retype the music into my LilyPond template because of the
"good default typesetting" it provides. Now, consider an IDE/GUI setup
(perhaps an extension of Frescobaldi) that would allow me to define a
variable for a voice, then pop up a musical staff to enter and play
back the notes for that variable without dealing with the whole
compilation process. No manual tweaking of notes, just the entry of
the entry and playback of the notes, and I don't have to insert the
notes into the music itself yet or deal with whatever may or may not
be wrong with the rest of my file. I realize that this would not
necessarily work for all use cases, but I think for a large number of
them, this could be beneficial. It would reduce a number of my
transcription errors without me having to compile, scan for errors,
potentially figure out where the errors are (depending on workflow),
correct, recompile, etc.

Carl