RE: two bugs (?)

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: RE: two bugs (?)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:43:42 +0100

The situation is a bit more complex than that.  As far as I can recall (I wrote the embedded code for a midi interface many moons ago):

1) A midi channel can only have one instrument at a time assigned to it, but it is possible to change instruments.
2) A midi channel can be specified to be polyphonic, so that it can control a polyphonic synthesiser.

In theory, the midi spec allows you to do things like start a note, change instruments and start another note, chnage back to first instrument and stop its note then change to second instrument and stop second note all on one (polyphonic)channel.

Problems:

A) You need a synthesiser that can cope with this sort of complexity, many don't.  Synthesisers on even good soundboards are rather basic.

B)If you do have such a synth,  you would have to re-write the lilypond midi handling code to generate files like this.

Personlly it doesn't bother me too much as I only lilypond's midi facilities for proofreading purposes.  I use Csound for writing electronic music.

Bernard