Re: Still frustrated with chords

From: Jennifer Clark
Subject: Re: Still frustrated with chords
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:19:22 +0100

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

LilyPond uses two conventions for noting chords. I have never seen either
one ever used in printed music, and with any luck at all I never will.
Why not just use text/fingering or lyrics(?) for your chords?  daveA
Using text or lyrics for chords is a hassle; you will also have to tranpose them manually to other keys should you wish to do so. In this day and age I feel that the computer should do it for you.

I have distributed leadsheets using the default lilypond chords, and while I am not entirely satisfied with them either, nobody has actually complained yet. I think they are ok, but the conventions used in the Real books are superior IMHO. Sammy Nestico's "Complete Arranger" has a list of right (and wrong) chord naming terminology that appeals to me.

Jennifer