Re: sostenido/bemol

From: Christopher A. LaFond
Subject: Re: sostenido/bemol
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:29:44 -0500

Manuel wrote:
"la nota sostenida más larga"

I would use the masculine here. It could be the longest tenuto note.
Possibly, an enquiry at RAE's services will shed light upon this.
Manuel

That was an example culled from an internet site in Spanish. My point was that there are easy ways to indicate "sustained" in its various other meanings, whereas "sostenido/a" does a fine job at identifying a note that is "sharp", IMO. I would prefer to see the shortest possible choice used for the most common instance of the word for the sake of brevity.

Chris