Re: choir music, easy piano reduction and dynamics

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: choir music, easy piano reduction and dynamics
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:20:48 -0700

Arjan Bos wrote:

> On 1 apr 2008, at 16:12, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>

>> Arjan Bos wrote:
>>> Ah, I remember that thread. It is what gave me this idea in the
>>> first place.  The problem of centered dynamics crossing bar lines
>>> does not apply to most of my music, which is polyphonic classical
>>> guitar these days. It does however solve the problem of aligning the
>>> hairpins to last note in a sequence which can be in the upper or
>>> lower voice. My solution keeps all dynamics in one place instead of
>>> scattering them over my voices, thus helping maintainability and
>>> helping me in creating the desired length in hairpins.
>> Yes, keeping them in a separate variable/identifier can be a good idea.
>> What I questioned is if it's a good idea to keep them in a separate
>> Voice
>> context, which has nothing to do with the use of variables.
>
> Ah, that makes more sense! However,  to me the dynamics are part of
> the whole piece of music and should be attached at Staff level, not at
> Voice  level. So that's why I put them in a separate Voice. But I will
> keep your tips in mind when a problem crops up.
Adding the Voice context wrapper just restricts the possibilities.  A
simple example of what I usually do is:

music = << \timing \musicnotes \dynamicspart >>

where \music will be a voice or the contents of a staff or whatever.

For a score I might have:

musica = << \timing \musicnotesa \dynamicsparta >>
musicb = << \musicnotesb \dynamicspartb >>

where musica and musicb are different parts and dynamicsparta and
dynamicspartb might or might not be the same.

etc., etc.

Paul Scott