Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 12:52:19 +0200

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Am Montag, 22. September 2008 schrieb Robin Bannister:
> So I propose

> Replace the (passive) text "Table of Contents" in the TOC panel,
> with the document title, e.g. "Learning Manual".
> This nearly always visible (on biggish screens).
> (And when offscreen, near the end of NR, it is not far away.)
> I've done this now.

Thanks. This helps. However, this entry currently includes the title prefix "GNU LilyPond - ", which I consider out of place here: - it dilutes the contrast between the different document titles - it increases the effort needed to check the title (a glance is insufficient; you have to read and parse) - in narrow windows the title is more likely to be split onto two lines - it blurs the hierachical succession of section < document < documentation. Without the prefix the title is then just e.g. "Learning Manual", which corresponds to what you see in the documentation overview.

> Make this document title [A] be like a breadcrumb at the document level
> i.e. it is a link to the start of the document.

Also done.

Maybe you consider this superfluous, but by "breadcrumb" I was also implying that it should be emphasised in the same way as the other breadcrumbs, i.e. you see *all* levels of the vertical path. This is because I regard B as just another entry in the TOC. The TOC does not need a title.

And in the meantime the latest styling more or less hides this new feature ...

Cheers,
Robin