Re: Suggestion for Notation Reference

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Suggestion for Notation Reference
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:45:35 -0600

Graham Percival wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:53:50PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Jonathan Kulp wrote:
I don't know. This is definitely a strange example. The \mark command is meant to insert something over a barline, so maybe it'd be best to delete this example altogether and reword things a bit so that the example with "colla parte" is the only one illustrating this feature.
Agreed! It's very rare to insert textual indications between
the notes within a measure (where, on the other hand, it's
not uncommon to attach textual indications to a specific
note, i.e. using a text script).

+1

Why the Mao is the first example in this doc section such an odd
case?  Jonathan, please change the first example to:
c1
\mark "something musical"
c1

(but replace "something musical" with whatever you think makes
sense)

Changed to "Trio" as per Lasse's suggestion from earlier in the thread (sorry I missed it the first time around!)

Third paragraph: I see "this syntax allows to print...".  I know
that I've compained about this in the past to Valentin.  Jonathan,
please fix this as well.

Changed to "this syntax allows for special signs..."

I'm *totally* happy with a snippet that does this.  But I still
think that we should keep the main text as is -- if nothing else,
it displays the limitations of the default settings.

Jonathan, if nobody's done this already, please add a snippet
saying something like "by default, lilypond centers the mark, but
this can be difficult to align textual indications.  The alignment
can be easily changed:
  c1
  \mark "blargl"
  c1
  \once \override ... right
  \mark "blargl"
  c1
  \once \override ... left
  \mark "blargl"
  c1
"

Snippet called "Aligning objects created with the \mark command" created:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=546

I'll send a patch with the first two changes to Carl.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com