Re: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius (was Review of Valentin's Opera)

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius (was Review of Valentin's Opera)
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 21:45:13 +0200

Op vrijdag 03 april 2009, schreef David Stocker:
>  It would be great if there was a
> shorthand for this in LilyPond code for situations (like in many forms
> of popular music) an accompaniment pattern consists of many repeated
> chords--perhaps something like "<r>"--simply instructing LilyPond to
> reprint the previous chord.

Yes that could really be nice. Just fyi, MUP (which I used for years) uses ;
to separate chord or notes. Repeating the ; without anything simply repeats
the previous note or chord. (In MUP, notes look like c;d;e; and chords like
ac;acf;;;;, if only the note changes but not the duration 16g;8.;16;8. etc.).

For this reason I built into Frescobaldi a shortcut (by default assigned to
Ctrl +; ) that repeats the previous note or chord. A LilyPond construct could
be nice, but one of the nice things about the lilypond format is that all
music is verbatim there (if you do not write notes using scheme procedures).

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--
Frescobaldi, LilyPond editor for KDE: http://www.frescobaldi.org/