Re: MIDI export: \partial measure and volta repeats

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: MIDI export: \partial measure and volta repeats
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:18:13 +0200

2009/6/17 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:
> 1. the score starts with a partial measure, but the MIDI can't understand
> that...so when I import it in TuxGuitar, the notes are not placed correctly
> in the bars.
> There's any cool workaround?

> I know TuxGuitar does not support partial measure.. Maybe I should write a
> score tailored for the midi output (beside the one for the PDF output) and
> substitute \partial with some rests.

I'd do exactly that.

> 2. the repeats and alternatives are not displayed correctly. I've read about
> this workaround:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond/Repeats-in-MIDI#Repeats-in-MIDI
>
> But the problem is: I have a two voice score and the repeats are in the
> voices.
> Again, I can't see any solution but writing a tailored score for the MIDI
> output (that is, creating a copy of the voices and replacing volta repeats
> with unfold repeats).

Again, I'd do that. I think that tailored scores for MIDI output are
the standard way of doing things. In a perfect world, the score you
code for printing with lilypond would serve without any modifications
to produce a perfect MIDI show, but there is still a large gap between
those worlds, given their respective, very different requirements.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org