Re: Contemporary music documentation

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Contemporary music documentation
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 08:13:21 +0100

Carl Sorensen wrote Friday, September 04, 2009 11:57 PM

Carl Sorensen wrote" <address@hidden> Friday, September 04, 2009
3:06 PM

Also, as you plan sections, remember that anything using \set or
\override
belongs in a snippet, not in the main text body.

This certainly is a rule for NR 1, but is not
absolutely essential for NR 2.  But in general
you're right - self-contained snippets are usually
the best way of demonstrating \set and \override
commands.  When appropriately tagged and referenced
they appear in the manual exactly as they would if
placed there, and can be easily modified by anyone.

CG 3.1 says "A few other policies (such as not permitting the use of tweaks in the main portion of NR 1 + 2) may also seem counterintuitive...". Later on, in CG 3.5 (under Tips, not 3.4 Policy, which is potentially confusing; perhaps the Tweaks subsubsection should be moved to Documentation policy), it says "In general, any \set or \override commands should go in the
'selected snippets' section."

"In general", yes.  "Without exception", no.

If tweaks are
necessary to produce the base functionality of any LilyPond feature (e.g. Turkish music), we should add appropriate commands to do the tweaks. Then tweaks are reserved for a method of modifying the base functionality, and
can be appropriately placed in Selected Snippets.

No.  It's much easier to write documentation
than it is to add commands.  I would not want to
delay useful additions to the documentation or to
put off a keen documentation writer simply because
new commands have to be written first.  Especially
for something like Turkish, which is particularly
tricky and totally undocumented.  Documenting it
carefully will almost certainly throw up bugs and
inconsistencies.  These will need developer effort
to fix before we can think of adding extensions and
new commands.

That said, anything that can be done with a simple
encapsulation of overrides in a variable, much like
the changes introduced during GDP, should be done,
of course.

Trevor