Re: GUI (was: Re: No Work!

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: GUI (was: Re: No Work!
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:18:44 -0600

On Dec 15, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Kees van den Doel wrote:

If lilypond came with a rudimentary GUI I think it would at least octuple the number of people trying it out.

Something simple like a window with File/compile menus, a text editor pane, compile messages at bottom, and a score preview. No more features needed, it's just to get people who don't know what a shell or a text editor is to try it out. They can then start the "lilypond program", open various example files, change a few notes, and they're hooked!

2.12.2 for the Mac, at least, came with a simple text editor and some menus. There's no way to do a "score preview" window, the file has to be compiled and rendered.

For Emacs users, there is a great LilyPond mode which is what I use now.