Matching lyrics to a one measure divisi

From: Hayden Muhl
Subject: Matching lyrics to a one measure divisi
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 23:57:37 -0700

I'm type setting an aria where there are optional low notes for a single measure. My normal approach when setting instrumental music does not work here, because the lyrics do not follow the notes properly.

Here's my snippet.

http://www.lilybin.com/hjtorv/1

The text "la catena" should match to the notes in measures 1 and 2. "Che non cerca" should follow starting on measure 3.

I think I understand what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it. There are three different voices, and the lyrics are following only one of them. There is one voice that contains the notes in measures 1, 3 and 4, and then two more voices for the notes in measure 2.

I've had the same problem before when having to tie and slur between divisi and non-divisi sections of a score. Hopefully there is a sane method of getting this to work that I'm not aware of.

- Hayden Muhl