Re: Short stems

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Short stems
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:53:24 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/12/18 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>:
>> Thomas Morley writes:
>>
>>> In the past I was sometimes beaten by spam.
>>> And I'm absolutly nerved by online-commercials.
>>
>> Have you ever seen spam or commercials on these lists?
>
> Yes, sent from hacked accounts, I suppose.

I can't actually say anything here as I am reading this list through the
Gmane news aggregator (using GNUS, the Emacs built-in mail/news reader),
and Gmane is rather good at filtering.  Perhaps that would be an option
for you as well?

Creating useful images for posting is easy using the --png -dpreview
options, and people use this frequently.

The most annoying non-SPAM occurences are whole-page scans of likely
copyrighted material, but those are fairly rare here.

You'll probably get a reasonably good Signal/Noise ratio by just
permitting PNG images (unpopular for SPAM, main image output from
LilyPond).  However, at times people do scan small excerpts of printed
music for illustrating some construct, and those tend to be JPEG, also a
preferred format for SPAM.  So if you have a way to at least notice when
such an image is included (even if not opening it automatically), that
may help at times.

--
David Kastrup