Re: \bar "||" and \repeat around a line break

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: \bar "||" and \repeat around a line break
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:27:49 -0800

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:19:33AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> I was just pointing out that LilyPond's default is not all-lunatic.

I'd like to eat some crow, as it seems I'm the lunatic in this
thread for which I must apologize.  :( I mis-characterized this
issue based on a mis-recollection of a past experience I had,
resulting in a doubly-compounded mistake.  How embarrassing.

My sincere apologies.

My interest in this issue of implicit open-repeat bars could be
addressed with an override ability for repeats beginning at the
start of a piece or at a double bar.  Like Werner, I too was
unaware of the double-bar aspect of the rule for repeats.

\score {
  \new Staff
    \relative f' {
      \repeat volta 2 { f1 f1 }
      f1 f1 \bar "||" \break

% something akin to this, perhaps:
  \once \override Staff.RepeatBarExplicit = ##t

      \repeat volta 2 { f1 f1 }
      f1 f1 \bar "|."

Perhaps this could be overridden only when needed, or set
globally for a given context where it is wanted.

I'll go back under my rock now.

Jim