Re: Frecobaldi 2 Mac OS X install guide

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Frecobaldi 2 Mac OS X install guide
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 08:26:41 -0500

On Jun 6, 2013, at 5:35 AM, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Yes, but Mac OS X Darwin does not use apt as far as I know, only Debian and
> Debian derived systems such as Ubuntu and Mint.
>
> As a result of this thread, I have decided the need is there for a macports
> bundle for frescobaldi, one that includes all the dependencies with no
> headaches. This seems to be what people want, short of a Mac GUI installed.
> I'll start in on that project tomorrow.

Well, at least the less competent like me would greatly appreciate this!

I vaguely recall using apt back in my NetBSD experimentation many years ago.
MacPorts seems to be the more commonly used tool for installing Unix/Linux
software and does not use apt.  The Fink project does use apt and dpkg; I had
used Fink for a while years ago and now cannot remember why I switched to
MacPorts.  As I recall, both create their own file system at the root level
(/opt in the case of MacPorts, something else in the case of Fink) rather than
writing into /usr/local in order to make removal very simple- just delete the
application and the /opt directory and it's gone.

BTW, the end result appears very Mac-GUI-like already, except that the
Application menu within the app is titled Python instead of Frescobaldi.