Re: Schikkers List

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Schikkers List
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 08:42:54 +0100

2013/12/5 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
Federico Bruni writes:

> I'm not a coder, so nothing.
> I was just thinking that I may test it better if I could run it on my
> computer.

Okay...thanks for the offer!  I'll think about it.  Because development
is so slow the code is only available to the actual developers for now.

ok, I supposed that was the  reason

> It's a nice idea if the purpose of the application is teaching
> lilypond syntax by interacting with a GUI.

That's one of the main purposes, to help people make jump the hurdle
of text input.  I predict that some people who would never consider
using text input, may still start to use it once they experience that
all their clumsy mousings can be described so short and simple in
text.

> Actually, it's a great idea: I would add a link in the website
> introduction once you feel that it's stable enough.

Thanks.  I was thinking of active panes in the tutorial.  What if
you could edit all these snippets:

    http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/simple-notation

Edit locally in your browser, right? Using the software on the server.. Cool

> I have a feature request that it may make this app special: note entry
> using a tablature instead of a staff.  You choose the tuning and then
> enter numbers on each string, then the number should be turned into
> the right pitch.  I guess this is not easy to implement. But it may
> attract users of Tuxguitar, Guitarpro and similar.

I'm not a guitar player/tab staff reader, so I don't really get the
idea of what this should look like.  How/why would you enter numbers
rather than click on the Tab staff?

When you click on the TabStaff you can only select the string, there's no pitch. When you enter the fret  number, the program can find the right pitch combining string + fret number (and taking the  tuning into account).

Can we do away with choosing the tuning, isn't there a common tuning
for guitar that > 90% of guitars use?

If someone would want to have a go with implementing this, I'd be
glad to talk with them.

Sure, you should let the default guitar tuning but also offer the option to change the tuning.
If the tuning changes, obviously string + fret number combination will refer to a different pitch.

All the guitar players I know work with software which uses this kind of input. MuseScore already have this feature in the current development version (2.x), but I did just a quick test.

> How can I make an horizontal selection?

Push down mouse-1, drag to the left or right.

I managed to get it one after several tries. Now I can't make it working anymore.
There's something buggy? Or maybe I lost the ability to use the mouse since I use lilypond :-)