Re: Jagged hairpins

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Jagged hairpins
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 06:28:22 -0800 (PST)

David Kastrup wrote
> SoundsFromSound <

> soundsfromsound@

> > writes:
>
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I need some help understanding how LilyPond treats hairpins in regards to
>> printing and / or rendering on-screen. I realize this is not a scientific
>> approach for testing but I didn't know how else to demonstrate my
>> question.
>> In a nutshell, I'm seeing that my LilyPond-engraved PDFs and paper scores
>> are having quite a few rather jagged hairpins. I can't figure out why.
>> Nothing has changed. I have a high quality laser BW printer
>
> What does that mean?  Resolution?  How do you convert your PDF to
> whatever the printer accepts?
>
>> My PDFs are jagged as well so that's what made me believe it's not my
>> printer that's the issue.
>
> Depends.  For 2.19, you might want to try the effect of the
> -dstrokeadjust option.  That might reduce the total amount of line
> thickness variation.
>
>> The "stepped" look of the hairpins are even more jagged-looking on the
>> actual paper itself over the PDF, but it's still there.
>
> That very much appears like you are not properly converting your PDF for
> use with the "high quality" printer.
>
>> Please see attached images and if someone could please let me know if I'm
>> doing something wrong - or if there is a way to soften the hairpins -
>> that
>> would be awesome! :)
>>
>> finale_14_line.png
>> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n158826/finale_14_line.png>
>>

>> LilyPond_PDF_line_-_jagged.png
>> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n158826/LilyPond_PDF_line_-_jagged.png>
>>

>> LilyPond_-_during_input.png
>> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n158826/LilyPond_-_during_input.png>
>>

> The first thing you are doing wrong is not describing at all what the
> images are supposed to be from.  "LilyPond_-_during_input"?  Seriously?
> My LilyPond files look like "c16 d e d r4" during input.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Hi David,

For these examples I was on Windows 7 using the Adobe Acrobat PDF printer
set to either 600 or 1200dpi, sorry I can't recall. These were done late
last night. But that's the only PDF printer option I use when printing to
PDF, regardless of program.

Also I had thought I renamed all the images correctly after working last
night but it looks like I left one untouched and uploaded it. The
'during-input' was the name I gave it to remind me that that particular
image was what I saw while inputting into Frescobaldi. Sorry about that.

I'll try that 2.19 option and see if I can play around with the thickness.
Thanks!

-----
composer | sound designer
LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond