Re: Any advice for getting emacs working with lilypond on MacOsX?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Any advice for getting emacs working with lilypond on MacOsX?
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 20:17:19 +0200 (CEST)

>> Please report the problems with the documentation to the mailing
>> list (in case you haven't done so yet; I didn't follow the
>> discussion close enough to remember)
>
> Werner, that was the first thing I did.  Right here in this thread.
> In the very first message.

Yep.  It's the correct thing.  Now please send it to lilypond-bug so
that one of our bugmeisters adds it to the issue database.

> I'm happy to spend some time fixing the docs myself when/if I
> understand what's going on.  I think in the case of emacs, we should
> perhaps update to mention that the binary distribution includes the
> .el files and to avoid any mention of "make install", although I
> guess this is perhaps Mac specific advice?

If you install from the source, the canonical way to compile and
install emacs is to do the following in the top-level directory of the
unpacked .tar.gz bundle:

  ./configure [... options, see `configure --help' ...]
  make
  make install

If you do that, the elisp files are installed also.  In other words,
if you do a normal build, the documentation that irritates you is
superfluous...

There are more deficiencies, not only in the documentation: For
example, the installation directory for the elisp files can't be
changed with an option of the configure script or with an environment
variable; its value is hardcoded in file `config.make.in'.

    Werner