Re: Qsynth/Fluidsynt output on MacBook/Kubuntu

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: Qsynth/Fluidsynt output on MacBook/Kubuntu
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:15:42 -0500

Frederico,

Thanks for the reply.

Turns out the noise issues also happens on a desktop install (Debian Testing) with LP 2.18 and Frescobaldi 2.0.13 (the default in the Debian repos). Intersting. All sound still works, just not playing midi files from within Frescobaldi.

I *was* able to use timidity as a server with Frescobaldi. There are limitations (changing the soundfont is cumbersome) but it did work.

I was using the FluidGM font, which is my normal sound font for use with Lilypond. I attempted to use the commandline fluidsynth option you suggested on my desktop (for testing) rather than QSynth and that failed utterly. Since I use Frescobaldi, my SOP is to run Qsynth (which runs fluidsynth), select QSynth from the Frescobaldi Preferences Midi section, then it usually "just works" when I play a midi file using the Midi player tool.

When running fluidsynth from the commandline I see a synth option in Frescobaldi's preferences but selecting it does not product sound output when I play a midi file and after a few seconds Frescobaldi crashes hard.

Hmmm.

Thinking that latest versions are best, I removed the default repo Frescobaldi and downloaded the latest from the Frescobaldi website and guest what? It all works as expected.

I will do the same tonight on the laptop I originally posted about.

Guy

--

"There is only love, and then oblivion. Love is all we have
to set against hatred." (paraphrased) Ian McEwan

Guy Stalnaker