Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 02:24:50 +0200

Am 16.04.2015 um 20:39 schrieb bart deruyter:
Hi,

I think it's a very interesting question, but I think the answer will
always be very vague.

Necessarily so. To get concrete answers one has to ask concrete questions. But sometimes one needs to have a vague idea on a subject to be able to continue talking about it in order to possibly get to concrete questions ...

Not only is it hard to estimate how many people use lilypond, but it is,
even harder to find out what is ment with 'qualified engraver', at least
here in Belgium, because I don't even know what a 'qualified engraver'
means, nor how to get 'qualified' (I have no knowledge of any school
teaching music typesetting).

Admittedly this is a very vague expression. But in a way LilyPond allows for a broader range of interpretation here. For our "Das trunkne Lied" project we have a really wide range of backgrounds with our contributors. And this basically doesn't make any problem. I think through the way we have set up the project (especially that one is usually only faced with a rather tiny file containing just 10-20 measures of a single voice) the actual engraving (or rather music entry) demands are comparably small.

In any projects not all contributors have to be proficient with all aspects, particularly not with beautifying the final output. Nevertheless people should be able to provide their input without requiring too much hand-holding and without producing an inappropriate amount of errors.

But I also have made the experience that an edition project can get kind of stuck if there are too few "power-users" active. But still I think that's a cool feature because it really means you can add the "processing power" of an arbitrary number of contributors to a project.

Urs

But I've been typesetting quite a bit of shorter and longer pieces for
guitar, for teaching purposes, my guitarbook, myself and for others, but
without payment, at least not directly.

I have time and I'd love to typeset more often, so if you need one more,
count me in too ;)

grtz,

Bart

http://www.bartart3d.be/
On Twitter <https://twitter.com/#%21/Bart_Issimo>
On Identi.ca <http://identi.ca/bartart3d>
On Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116379400376517483499/>

<address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>:

    Hi Urs,

    > I realize that I don't have a real idea about the size of our community,
and particularly regarding the availability of music typesetters who could offer
reliably continuous engraving services.

    This is something I’m interested in as someone who potentially wants
    to HIRE a Lilypond assistant, as opposed to offering my own
    services!  :)

    > Is it realistic to say there are always enough engravers at hand to
accept work?

    Can’t wait to hear the final answer.

    > I feel that one aspect that makes publishers hesitate to consider
LilyPond is exactly this question: They know that there will always be a
sufficient number of available and qualified Finale and Sibelius users, and
presumably even Score users, but they don't have an idea about this with LilyPond.

    +1

     > Any opinions or estimates?

    My gut reaction (projecting from my own life, of course) is that
    many of us are composer-engravers who barely even have time to get
    our own scores done, or hobbyists who wouldn’t be appropriate for
    the job. The “sweet spot” of qualified engravers with time on their
    hands is probably pretty small.

    Thanks for asking the question!
    Kieren.