Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: PMA
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:44:52 -0400

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Pete,

So major compositional changes -- the ones we're
calling "structural" here -- are implemented at that
first (gen.purp.prog.lang) level, tossing LP not much
to trip over then or fail to carry through.

My point, then: Why stuff a complicated-enough
engraving program with (compositional) issues
that by nature demand more abstract handling?

Here are two real-world examples, drawn from my own recent life.
In both scenarios, the prospect of editing and rewriting is quite daunting,
given the structure of the Lilypond code and its identified limitations in this
area.

Call it a “compositional” issue if you want… but post-hoc manipulation/
modification of large [and thus code-heavy] scores are a fact of life,
and the easier we can make it for [power-?]users to modify existing large
scores, the better IMO. And expecting users to implement and learn a
complicated extra toolchain is not the right answer.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Hi Kieren.

I have no quibble with what you're saying, except to note that the issues
I've called 'compositional' here aren't the sort that you were dealing with.
Let's restate my point -- Given a compositional issue that _is_ resolvable
early programmatically and on its own -- not left for eventual conflation
with scoring issues -- then (provided you're a Happy Programmer), do!

Maybe only I needed the advice.

Cheers++,
Pete