Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:10:28 -0400

Hi Carl (et al.),

> maybe it's worth setting up a LilyPond StackExchange

Maybe… But we already hear complaints about how “the documentation” is spread
across too many sites: the multiple doc books; LSR; the list archives; Scores
of Beauty and similar; etc.

> I don't believe you do have to write Scheme code just to add some vertical
> space.

Correct.

> I do think that some really nice defaults (like the OpenLilyLib people
> are working on) could greatly help the problem
> by minimizing the need to do LilyPond adjustments.

Yes. The introduction of a real stylesheet and template system — with
“peer-reviewed” stylesheets and templates — is going to be a serious step
forward.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer