Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 12:42:48 +0800

On April 22, 2015 7:43:10 PM "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

Although not well-publicised there is a way of entering multi-voice or multi-staff music complete bar by complete bar. There is a restriction that bars must be all the same length, but at least all the notes of a bar are entered together and remain close together in the LP source.

See http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#writing-music-in-parallel

Thanks for the tip - I wasn't aware of this. I'm outside on my phone now, not ideal for reading the documentation, so I can't comment specifically except to guess that it may be impractical for large, complex projects.

Going back to the general topic: I don't think the solution is necessarily to extend the LilyPond language. LP is *very* good at what it does. But David's comment that LP is a language to organize grobs, rather than *principally* a language to organize music, is insightful. Viewed this way, it's then unsurprising that LP, in a couple of glaring ways, doesn't always mesh with the needs of working musicians.

The fact that LP is so good at what it does means that it's quite likely a bad idea to alter its nature fundamentally. But a higher-level representation could abstract the details of LP code organization away from the user and present a "face" that supports more "musical" editing capabilities. That's a massive job, of course, but it would also not break backward compatibility with existing LP projects.

I'm influenced here by my experience with LaTeX, which I use almost exclusively by way of Emacs's org-mode [1]. In org, I make outlines where the outline entries are sections or subsections (or Beamer frames), with free text and itemized lists inside. Org markup is lighter and friendlier than raw LaTeX: *bold* instead of \textbf{bold}, e.g., so I get the advantage of improved readability while editing without losing LaTeX's superior typesetting. The org exporter converts the outline tree into LaTeX and automatically runs the LaTeX executable of your choice. I need to write raw LaTeX only for customizing, and a couple of corner cases that org doesn't handle easily. It's >expletive deleted< GREAT!!

For LP, this is pie-in-the-sky dreaming -- I haven't the time or the immediate need. And GridLY may supply some of this -- I'm quite interested and I'll take a look for my next project. But I think there's no harm in admitting that LP is not ideally suited to many practical needs, and imagining that abstraction (rather than extension of the core language) is a valid solution.

hjh

[1] http://orgmode.org

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com