Re: mutopia's shortcomings

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: mutopia's shortcomings
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:45:33 -0400

Hi Joram,

> I already wanted to submit a score to Mutopia using the edition
> engraver. But I finally used ordinary tweaks because we were not sure
> how future proof this is.

An excellent question/point.

> 1. How stable is the interface of the edition engraver?

Right now, not sufficiently for Mutopia’s needs, I would offer.
However, I know that Jan-Peter is actively working on it, so things should
settle down relatively soon.

> Will the commands to use it change?

See below.

> 2. Will it always be in the current place of OpenLilyLib?

See below.

> 3. Might it get integrated into the core of LilyPond?

This is the key question. Of course, I think it’s abolute must. Personally, I
would assign it as high a priority as MusicXML import/export and other features
with higher visibility/“wow factor”, given how mature its code is relative to
those other items. If/when it is integrated into the core distribution, the
functionality would likely increase and the syntax settle down more quickly,
and be far more stable. However, I have no idea about the timeline or even
interest for such a thing — that would be a question for Lily’s main code
gatekeeper(s).

> Because it does not make sense to improve the maintainability of a large
> set of scores by relying on a functionality that has to be adapted
> manually in future and thus produces more manual interventions.

Agreed.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer