Re: mutopia's shortcomings

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: mutopia's shortcomings
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:42:32 -0400

Hi Gilles,

> But why _LilyPond_, if you agreed that quality will can (never!) match that
> produced with the tool that produced the scores available on IMSLP ?
>
> Why not that other tool?

What "other tool"? Hand-engraving with metal punch ca. 1852-1952? Because
that’s the standard we’re measuring against by comparing to IMSLP.

No cross-platform computer application I know of — proprietary or open source —
has better output than Lilypond. In fact, even with just a basic stylesheet
applied to it, my musical theatre Piano/Conductor scores rival (and in most
cases surpass) what the big publishing houses (e.g., Warner-Chappell) put out
for sale.

This is one of the reasons I laud Urs’s attempt to get some of those houses to
use Lilypond: it would actually improve their current output!

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info