Re: a proper whiteout function

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: a proper whiteout function
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 21:37:24 -0700

Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for doing this!  The result is quite impressive, i didn't expect this approach to produce so nice whiteouts :)
I have just a couple cosmetic suggestions:
- I think "offset" should be renamed to "padding".  Throughout LilyPond, offsets are used to measure distances and position, while padding is used for ensuring there's enough whitespace around an object.
- I think the default value for angle-increments should be 8, or at most 12.  Yes, with smaller value the whiteouts will be less regular, but this will be visible only with very high magnification, while the improvement in performance/pdf size may be noticeable.

best,
Janek

Hi Carl, Wilbert, David N, Kieren, Abraham,

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.  I’m attaching a new revision.

- Original spacing is maintained.  Thanks David and Carl for the tips on how to do this.

- Optional parameters, with fallback defaults, for offset, color, angle-increments, radial-increments.  I went with Carl’s suggestions, but made them optional.  The stencil argument now comes first.

- Prevents zero or negative angle- and radial- increments that would cause an infinite loop.

- First pass at a doc string based on Carl’s descriptions.

Let me know what you think and then I’ll go ahead and submit a patch for review.  BTW, what’s a good default for offset?

Cheers,
-Paul