Re: quarter-tone tablatures notation

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: quarter-tone tablatures notation
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 11:06:56 +0100

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Bernardo,
>>
>> please see attached. Does it fit your needs?
>
> What's the essential difference to the current code?
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Current `determine-frets' from scm/translation-functions.scm checks
whether the calculated fret is an integer. If not, it throws a warning
and doesn't print it.
At first glance this makes sense, because there are no frets for
quarter-tones on a fretted instrument like guitar (in standad-tuning).
Though, ofcourse you can produce the quarter-tone pitch via bending,
which then is not represented in the tab.

Basically I changed it to check for (truncate fret) and removed the
according warning (letting the warning for negative frets in place).

This will result in frets like 5/2. Not that nice... So I added a
drawing-routine, `my-format-tab-note-head' to use with
`TabNoteHead.before-line-breaking', printing 2½ in this case. (This
routine has some TODOs, I'm not really happy with it currently)

If we implement it in the source, we could
a)
simply change current code
b)
add an optional argument like `quarter-tones?' to `determine-frets'

Cheers,
  Harm