Re: quarter-tone tablatures notation

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: quarter-tone tablatures notation
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 21:33:56 +0100

>>> What's the essential difference to the current code?
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Kastrup
>>
>> Current `determine-frets' from scm/translation-functions.scm checks
>> whether the calculated fret is an integer. If not, it throws a warning
>> and doesn't print it.
>> At first glance this makes sense, because there are no frets for
>> quarter-tones on a fretted instrument like guitar (in standad-tuning).
>
> Well, "in standard-tuning" is the point.  As originally requested, the
> idea was to have some strings tuned to a quartertone offset, and then
> determine-frets was supposed to use those.

Well, I tested the following code with default `determine-frets' and
`my-determine-frets' from my recent post, output attached.

custom-tuning = \stringTuning <eeh, a, d ges beh eeh'>

mus = \relative {
  eeses'
  eeseh
  ees
  eeh
  eih
  eis
  eisih
  eisis
}

tst =
<<
  \new Staff << \clef "G_8" \mus >>
  \new TabStaff \with { stringTunings = \custom-tuning } \mus

\score {
  \tst
  \header { piece = "default-determine-frets" }
}

\score {
  \tst
  \header { piece = "my-determine-frets" }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      noteToFretFunction = #my-determine-frets
    }
    \context {
      \TabStaff
      \override TabNoteHead.before-line-breaking = #my-format-tab-note-head

The second score looks nicer.
In a local branch I ran it against our regtest, without result (maybe
we don't have a regtest with quarter-tone-tuning, didn't check)

@users:
In general, I am a professional guitarist in the classical domain
never using tablature myself, although I'm able to read most historic
and modern tablatures.
(Apart from "deutsche Tabulatur" - for an image see:
http://www.lautenmusik.net/media/lautenmusik/dt_tab1.gif )

Meaning I'm not very interested in TabStaff. I'll work on it, if users
say what they want/prefer, where are bugs etc.
In other words: I need feedback from users, otherwise I'll focus on other stuff.

So far only Federico and BB (as I first posted the code) reported back.

Please test against real music!!

Cheers,
  Harm