Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines

From: Harald Christiansen
Subject: Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 08:41:22 +1000

Hi Dan,

Not as creative as you may think.

Essentially Lilipond as Tex is about stacking boxes with some rubber space/bands in between.

If you read Chapter 11 "Boxes" of TeXbook (Donald Knuth) you will understand what I am talking about.

What I did is "add a box on top of the tallest box in the row", thus forcing the row to be taller still.

Tex has \vskip, LaTeX has \vspace ... It seems Lilypond has nothing.

As good as Lilypond is (and it's great), it will never be perfect. There is a reason why TeX and LaTex have custom vertical space commands.

Obvious hint: It is needed.

And after some very extensive search, I found this problem resurfacing several times. In my not-so-humble-opinion :D It is needed!

It looks like there is no proper solution, only various hacks. I'm giving up. :(

Thanks to all who replied :)

All the best.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM, DJF <address@hidden> wrote:
On Jun 21, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Harald Christiansen <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, I eventually ended up solving the problem by using \markup with a
> two rows of blank strings attached to the E6, something like:
> e^\markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . 5) \column { " " " " } } i.e.
> adding an empty box with the desired high and depth above the note (it
> also have width but I can live with that).

That’s an interesting, creative solution that I wouldn’t have thought of trying, but it seems to have a side effect of making the next system much too close.

[...]

Dan

--
Nihil verus. Omnia possibilia.