Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 17:20:09 +0200

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:39:39 -0500
David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but your wishlist has nothing to do with the statement
> "Specifying the structure of a score in \global is wonderful, it just
> doesn't work with midi."

There is something called the principle of least surprise. I can put bars,
rehearsal marks, time signatures, repeats in \global and they all end up
nicely in all staves of the printed output.

Then it surprises me that they do not all end up nicely in the midi — in
particular, the repeats do not. So my first thought is "something doesn't
work". That there is a good explanation [thanks, David K] why it
doesn't/cannot work as I would have expected it doesn't change the surprise.

I tried to make clear that I do not consider this to be a bug
but that it would be 'nice to have'. I see nothing wrong with that.

> If you're going to make a statement like that, and be challenged,
> please supply some evidence or withdraw the remark.

I change my remark to: "Specifying the structure of a score in \global is
wonderful, it just doesn't play nice with MIDI, because no voice can impose
a MIDI repeat structure on any other."

> It's not as if this is the first time you've said that writing
> repeats in LP doesn't work in the MIDI output:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-02/msg00284.html

In this article I wrote "LilyPond doesn't deal with segno, coda, d.s. etc
either in the MIDI." Apart from being a totally different topic, would
you challenge this? Aand also, I wrote it as a statement, not a complaint
and definitely not "reports of a LP failure."

-- Johan