Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 19:13:09 +0200

Hi,

> Last year we had this discussion:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-07/msg00105.html

And in this discussion, sort of agreed that the website (the first page
you look at and some few others) are different from all the docs and so
on. Switching the docs in all languages with the examples etc. from
texinfo to sth. else is daunting to say the least. But for the front
page/website there is in principle a little bit more freedom if one has
a convincing alternative (with constraints still of course - and I am
sure many will appear here after this mail).

As I commented on the discussion last year, I think, a lot can be done
by a new html/css layout without necessarily switching much of how the
html content is produced. The front page should also be reconsidered.

Of course, I am speaking only for myself, but I would like to add my +1
and encourage all who are able to do such change to try it. The opinions
on this list seem to go in a similar direction showing both the need and
the boundary conditions for such an endeavour.

Cheers,
Joram