Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 18:26:31 -0300

> > Don't be! You'll get use to it a lot faster then you think! It
> > actually reads almost as if it was English [and *nod* a lot easier
> > then the corresponding html page], here is a simplified example. The
> > schema is the same for all pages:
> >
> >   import
> >     utils
> >     shared
> >
> >   define the page
> >
> >   `(html (@ (lang "en"))
> >      ,(html-page-header "About")    ;; defined in shared
> >      (body
> >       ,(html-page-description)              ;; dito
> >       ,(html-page-links)                            ;; dito
> >     <the page content comes here>
> >     ,(html-page-footer)))                   ;; dito
> >
> > The page content can be as simple as
> >
> >       (div (@ (id "content-box"))
> >            (article
> >             (h1 "About the Project")
> >             (p "Lylipond is ...")))

> Still needs to be tied into the translation process and means another
> technology the translators need to master.

Translators would edit the strings , then run 'make www' [or what ever target is
made], and because of this approach, they would have a lot less work and less
'bugs', since header, navbar and footer text are 'shared' by all pages.

But yes, they would have to know at least a bit about this representation, is
this
not also true wrt html? If so, then their knowledge is transferable with almost
no
effort, and the above argument that an  sxml tree is easier to read, imo at
least,
also makes it easier to translate. If a translator can read and translate

he/she surely can do so on the sxml representation

        (parrot (@ (type "African Grey")) (name "Alfie"))

Do they edit html pages now [or use a web 'design' gui tool]? If they do [edit
html
pages directly], I would consider this approach the best candidate, no need to
be a
top notch schemer to implement it, it is real fun to play with actually, and as
said, some work to build the first time, a lot less work and bugs to maintain it
later on...

My 2c