Re: Augmentation dot positioning

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Augmentation dot positioning
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 20:55:32 +0200 (CEST)

>> > The issue occurs when writing closely spaced chords with an
>> > augmentation dot in the rhythm. Dots are placed only on spaces
>> > (which we should expect), but in certain very easy to reproduce
>> > conditions, the dot appears in an unexpected place.
>>
>> Cf. `regression/chord-dots.ly'; this is controlled by the
>> `chord-dots-limit' property.
>>
>> However, you have found a bug I think, since it doesn't seem to work
>> correctly for your case, eliminating dots on the wrong side of the
>> chord.
>>

>>     Werner
>>

> Thanks Werner.  That's potentially a useful workaround. But the default
> behaviour is obviously broken.

It's issue 3179

and commit dfff5d3d1a1001f65d1f7183837f56ccd64fb15a

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/?id=dfff5d3d1a1001f65d1f7183837f56ccd64fb15a

> There's no way I should see a dot placed on the space above or below
> a note on a space -- obviously notes on a line are a different
> matter.  As far as I can tell the default should be never to place
> the dot more than one staff position away from the top or bottom
> note of a chord.

Hmm.  For some reasons the default value of `chord-dots-limit' is set
to 3.  I can't remember why Keith has decided to use this number, but
I would rather change the default to value 0.

    Werner