Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 10:01:08 -0400

Hi Matthew,

> On Fri, 26 May 2017, Simon Albrecht wrote:
>> Well, input syntax does not equal desired output.
> For ordinary users, it does.

You do know that you’re not *forced* to use ChordNames, right?
(Of course, I realize we’re currently talking about improving that part of
Lilypond, and hence this thread… but I’m offering this suggestion external to
that initiative.)

If you want to type something and simply have it appear as you typed it (i.e.,
with no use or need for manipulations like transposition), why not just use
Lyrics? It already does exactly what you want, e.g.

   C2 “/E”4 “/G”

outputs

   C     /E  /G

lined up with the rhythms you enter. And it wouldn’t take much to write a
custom context and/or a callback which would do any desired rewriting of
superscripts, etc. In other words, Lilypond has offered the ability to match
chordname input syntax with output display since at least 2003.

That being said, *I* have never (and would never) use it, because I always want
the ability to transpose, etc. But if you’re just looking for a method to
implement your \chordtext {} suggestion, a Lyrics context kind of already does
that.

Just a thought, in case it helps.

Cheers,
Kieren.