lmi

Re: [lmi] Migration to git

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Migration to git
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 01:15:26 +0200

On Tue, 24 May 2016 22:26:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-05-22 20:45, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Sun, 22 May 2016 18:10:58 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> >
GC> > GC>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lmi.git
GC> [...]
GC> > GC>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lmi.git;a=summary
GC> >
GC> >  I have no idea why does Savannah provide both cgit and gitweb when they
GC> > are so similar, but I guess more choice is always good...
GC>
GC> Is there a third and simpler way?

 I don't think so.

GC> However, viewvc often fails on gnu.org, while this:
GC>   http://svn.sv.nongnu.org/svn/lmi/lmi/trunk/sample.cns
GC> is fast and robust.

 Git doesn't store files in this form, so the equivalent is

        http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lmi.git/plain/sample.cns

which does rely on cgit working. FWIW cgit is (a) much simpler than ViewVC
and (b) written in C and so much less resource-intensive, so hopefully it
shouldn't be offline as often. But this is just the theory, of course, I
don't know how will it turn out in practice...

GC> but it leads to this:
GC>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/lmi.git/
GC> which seems to show only the lmi/.git/ subdirectory.

 Well, yes, this is the raw access to the repository, the files are stored
compressed and packed in it, so it can't be used for your needs.

 The only other possibility I see is to give an URL for GitHub mirror
repository (once I set it up). GitHub is pretty resilient and is, IME, much
faster than Savannah too, although, judging from the previous email in this
thread, it could be just because I'm on the wrong side of the ocean.

 Regards,
VZ