lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LCP Termination Request steps

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LCP Termination Request steps
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 19:15:49 +0200

Hi Kieran,

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 05:20:22PM +0100, Kieran Mansley wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 23:10 +0200, Sylvain Rochet wrote:
> >
> > Pppd have a well established codebase, this is probably not so hard
> > backport 2.4.5 or at least check the diff between all pppd releases,
> > will try :-)
>
> If anyone wants to help maintain the PPP code they would be very
> welcome!

I started porting PPPd 2.4.5 to lwIP this week-end. With additional
patchs fetched from Debian, as PPPd is a dead project since 2009.

I got some grey hair, I agree, but it works !

Well, it only works with PPPoE at the moment, because this is easy to
test with the unix port. I still have to find a way to test PPPoS, which
require a SIO somewhere, maybe I will do a unix SIO port, this seems
easier than using a takes-minutes-to-flash-and-hard-to-debug uC.

However, it works, but this is not sufficient for lwIP, a lot of code is
still using the Linux basement, and should be evicted before any patch.

I am going to push this port in production where I work, with a remote
flash boot loader so that I will be able to fix all the bugs I added,
being a very good bugs provider :-)

But the way, all the strangeness I found in the current PPPd port
included in lwIP are fixed the way I thought in the latest PPPd, which
is a good news !

Also, with PPPd 2.4.5, PPP + IPv6 support is on its way, as well as new
authentification methods. And maybe we could add in the future L2TP
support, allowing lwIP users to do PPP tunnels behing NAT using UDP as a
transport protocol.

Sylvain