Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] PATCH: support for fftw id3lib libsamplerate

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] PATCH: support for fftw id3lib libsamplerate liblo portaudio aubio
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:53:25 +0100

David García Garzón <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Still I
> miss an uninstall/upgrade option (maybe tracking installed packages)

There is no "uninstall", but you can simply put the generated
usr/ directory under version control. I recommend Mercurial or
Subversion for that task, because they handle big binary files
very well.

However, the "upgrade" is already available. Just download the
current development version and perform "hg pull -u". For more
information, see:  http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#development

After upgrading, a subsequent "make" will recreate only the
necessary libraries (i.e. the changed libraries and their
dependencies).

Internally, this is coordinated via the timestamps of empty
files in usr/installed/, so installed packages are indeed
"tracked".

> and the
> feasibility of building dlls (dll hell? we deal with it every day ;-) ).

We don't have the resources to maintain and check a "DLL" variant,
which would effectively duplicate the regular work. So mingw-cross-env
needs to decide whether it should concentrate on static or on dynamic
linking. Initially, I decided to build it for static linking.

Some time ago I questioned that decision on this mailing list, but
all replies were essentially "pro-static".
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2009-09/msg00025.html

Greets,

    Volker

--