Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] PATCH: support for fftw id3lib libsamplerate

From: David García Garzón
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] PATCH: support for fftw id3lib libsamplerate liblo portaudio aubio
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:14:55 +0100

A Saturday 23 January 2010 18:53:25, Volker Grabsch va escriure:
> David García Garzón <address@hidden> schrieb:
> > Still I
> > miss an uninstall/upgrade option (maybe tracking installed packages)
>
> There is no "uninstall", but you can simply put the generated
> usr/ directory under version control. I recommend Mercurial or
> Subversion for that task, because they handle big binary files
> very well.

That could work, though not as elegant as the rest of your system.

> However, the "upgrade" is already available. Just download the
> current development version and perform "hg pull -u". For more
> information, see:  http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#development
>
> After upgrading, a subsequent "make" will recreate only the
> necessary libraries (i.e. the changed libraries and their
> dependencies).
>
> Internally, this is coordinated via the timestamps of empty
> files in usr/installed/, so installed packages are indeed
> "tracked".

Yes, i agree about that upgrade option, in fact, i used it while building the
new packages. The problem is that such upgrades work as long as the new
version overwrites every old version file. It does not clean any old files not
present in the new version and that could lead to nasty situations. So a way
to uninstall a package could be the solution for both: uninstalling and
upgrading cleanly.

As an starting point for a solution, I attach a very small and improveable
patch that writes the installed content of each package in
usr/installled/$pkg. The patch does not consider packages modifiying existing
files or interrupted installations. A new phony target could be added to
uninstall those files, and a similar routine could be used to clean interrupted
installations.

I am also not sure about the effects of parallel compilation (can be
installations run in parallel at all?).

> > and the
> > feasibility of building dlls (dll hell? we deal with it every day ;-) ).
>
> We don't have the resources to maintain and check a "DLL" variant,
> which would effectively duplicate the regular work. So mingw-cross-env
> needs to decide whether it should concentrate on static or on dynamic
> linking. Initially, I decided to build it for static linking.
>
> Some time ago I questioned that decision on this mailing list, but
> all replies were essentially "pro-static".
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2009-09/msg00025.htm

Nothing to argue here. When i finally start to compile clam, i will know
whether i really need such an option or not.

Regards.

--
David García Garzón
(Work) david dot garcia at upf anotherdot edu