Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] PATCH: support for fftw id3lib libsamplerate

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] PATCH: support for fftw id3lib libsamplerate liblo portaudio aubio
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:39:31 +0100

David García Garzón <address@hidden> schrieb:
> A Saturday 23 January 2010 18:53:25, Volker Grabsch va escriure:
> > There is no "uninstall", but you can simply put the generated
> > usr/ directory under version control. I recommend Mercurial or
> > Subversion for that task, because they handle big binary files
> > very well.
>
> That could work, though not as elegant as the rest of your system.

Well, uninstalls are never elegant, unless we leave them to
good package managers (e.g. Dpkg/Apt) or good version control
systems (e.g. Mercurial).

I personally think it's very elegant not to _need_ any uninstall
stuff. :-)

> > After upgrading, a subsequent "make" will recreate only the
> > necessary libraries (i.e. the changed libraries and their
> > dependencies).
> [...]
> The problem is that such upgrades work as long as the new
> version overwrites every old version file. It does not clean any old files
> not
> present in the new version and that could lead to nasty situations.

Is this really a problem? It didn't appear yet, and I doubt it
ever will. Sometimes it happens that some old files are left
around, but these files are simply ignored by the rest of the
system.

> As an starting point for a solution, I attach a very small and improveable
> patch that writes the installed content of each package in
> usr/installled/$pkg. The patch does not consider packages modifiying existing
> files or interrupted installations.

Exactly that has been proposed some days ago. Please have a
look at my reply and cosider using that as a starting point
for further discussion:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2010-01/msg00066.html

(simply get that message from the mailing list and hit "reply")

If there's really a problem here, we should course try to
solve it. However, in that case we should first clarify what
the real problem is. What nasty problem would be solved by
some "uninstall" functionality?

Greets,

    Volker

--