Re: [Mldonkey-users] User Management in 2.03

From: Martin
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] User Management in 2.03
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:39:30 +0100

Martin Kuhlmann wrote...
> Look, you are using a linux server at home to set up internet for
> different persons. Now you want to download things. Naturally everyone
> will use the server for this. If you want to download such things as
> porn or things you don't want to become known you will use your pc.
> $Server is running 24h, your pc normally not.

actually it is....

>                                              It will cost money and
> if you want to sleep in the same room its noise, too. Or you ended up
> running a instance of mldonkey per user, with its own ports and
> directorys, its cpu-usage, memory-usage, its own bandwidthconsuming
> upload and so on.

already have 2 mldonkeys running....no problems over here!

>                   Sure, lets deactivate download. Thats bad and
> harms the network. Good idea.

you mean to deactivate *upload*....thats not an option

> So a multi-user system is needed. End of this point.

i doubt that - im using mld for quite some time and it never came to
my mind

> If you think it is a feature you don't need, please don't say that
> everyone not your opinion is dumb and deserves a visit from whoever.

i didnt say that - read before repliying...i said everyone who *tells*
other people he's downloading illegal stuff deserves that....and thats
what you are doing: offering other people to download whatever using
your computer - so you are responsible for that - you alone!

> Don't you think that you yourself will need a multi-user system too,
> if you are in a different situation?

not a multi-user system to a p2p-client

> So, don't ague against something you don't want or understand. Let the
> devs do what they think is best and just deactivate it if you don't
> need it.

i *do* understand - quite well i think...blowing up the (far from
beeing perfect or complete) mldonkey client with a multi-user system
(which has to be included to almost every part of mld) to introduce
many (not only security-) problems.

And i think as this list is read by the developpers its the right
point to discuss something like that. (i myself contributed some
patches too with one already included in the source - im far away from
calling myself a dev but as i sticked to mldonkey right from the
beginning im concerned about this development of not concentrating on
the real important things (downloading/uploading/server+client+source
management) but working on fancy interfaces and mu-systems)