Re: [Mldonkey-users] Sha1 implementation benchmark

From: kami petersen
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Sha1 implementation benchmark
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:32:15 +0100

Fortin Denis wrote:

Le mer 04/02/2004 à 20:40, kami petersen a écrit :
Fortin Denis wrote:
I've added another implementation of sha1 hash. It's written by Brian Gladman and can be found here :
http://fp.gladman.plus.com/cryptography_technology/sha/index.htm

Before everything else i would like to make sure that the licence is ok
for mldonkey.

it sounds like a bsd-style license, and as such it should be 100% compatible with the gpl, even without the extra notice he's included. for compatibility see the page on licenses on http://www.gnu.org/

if you choose to add the gpl to it, then copyleft of this particular code and changes to it is enforced.

/kami
The 'problem' for me is this : In my understanding the GPL allow me to modify all things in the file
except the gpl itself, including the notice. So under the gpl i should
be to remove the author's notice. But i'm allowed to use this file under GPL if and only if keep this
notice.

Denis Fortin

the gpl can not allow you to edit the authors' licence.

the author's licence has to be retained, but you can add the gpl to it as well. this is no problem.

the author's licence does not limit the gpl in any way.

the note in the author's licence that you may combine it with the gpl is unnecessary, you could do it anyway, unless had it contained demands that were in conflict with the gpl.

by merging this code with mldonkey you will be combining the two licenses, but the author's license does not, of course, affect any other mldonkey code that is not derived from the author's work, and should not be added to other code.

so... what you should do is:

1 insert the normal heading from the mldonkey files:

(*
   This file is part of mldonkey.

   mldonkey is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
   (at your option) any later version.

   mldonkey is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

   along with mldonkey; if not, write to the Free Software
   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
*)

2 keep the original copyright notice, and licence. don't mess with it. don't add your own copyright, you can do this only on things that you write yourself from scratch.

3 submit it to the repository.

there is no problem. i think =)

/kami